Saturday, April 6, 2013

Epic Things

 You may have noticed I've been scarce recently.


But instead of doing important things, like writing books or reading books or making dinner for my family on a regular basis, my mind has been sucked dry of productivity and creativity because of silly piece of mail.


From Ogden, Utah.


The (resourceful, respectable and always delightful. and fair.) IRS sent out an Examination Form for our 2010 taxes.


Some folks might call that an 'audit'. Some folks might call it bad names, but I wouldn't. Because I have faith in the kindness and generosity of the Internal Revenue Service.


We're a few days away from the deadline and almost finished and I have learned two things about the year 2010:


We had our third child.
We were not good record keepers.


One might have something to do with the other.


During this month, I have had little mental respite except for those magical fifteen minutes where, if the weather is good and Henry is asleep, I spent my time in the car rider line at school, in a terrifically wonderful way.


I read Epic Mom: Failing Every Day a Little Bit More Than You, by my friends Julie Harrison (MOV of mothersofbrothersblog.com ) and Marianne Walsh (http://webandofmothers.blogspot.com/).


Yes, it's funny. Yes, if you have kids you'll completely get it. Even if you don't have kids, these stories are about your family - they're your moms or your sisters or you. But where a lot of the mom-humor around slips into dumb husband and poop jokes, Epic Mom never insults you. Julie Harrison's tongue is usually firmly in cheek, and then every now and again she says something that is so amazing that it makes you sit up straight in your chair. Julie is crazy prolific. She posts regularly, usually every day. She has published books. Plural. She is everything I wish I could be, but lack the drive and commitment. And style.

Marianne Walsh is like a pair of yoga pants. Her stories are comfortable and warm and I feel like I'm at my own kitchen table, only with less screaming and vomit. I can see Marianne and I curled up on a couch in a couple of Slankets, eating popcorn and watching Alf.

I've also spent the past week marathon-watching the first season of Glee. I'd never seen it, and I'm on like Episode 17. I don't really watch TV, so that is a whole shit ton of TV for me. I think Glee is a different post, though. 


The book is pretty fantastic. The stories are blog post-ish in length. They're sweet and funny and smart and perfect to read in the car rider line. Julie and Marianne were kind enough to send me a copy to review, and not only do I recommend it, I recommend it as a gift for friends, family, coworkers, random strangers on the internet.


So, now I am going to blow your mind - I want to give YOU a copy. That's right, I am going to purchase one copy of Epic Mom and give it away to one lucky commenter on this post. I am a horrible blogger, and I don't pay enough attention to you folks who come here. I lost a follower this week, and I was going to come here and whine about it and give a big F-U to the person who unfollowed me, and then I saw it was my mom.


Buy the book.
Comment, and maybe win the book.
Keep good tax records.
Be nice to your mom.


Epic.

10 comments:

  1. Kelly,

    Thank you for your kind words. I have printed out your review, laminated it, and stuck it on my fridge next to my kids' report cards. I will probably print out multiple copies to laminate so that I have it with me at all times, and I might somehow make one of these laminations into a macramé purse. You never know.

    Seriously, I think this is just about the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me (well, anyone who was not giving a toast to me and my husband at our wedding).

    And these words coming from an amazing writer such as yourself? I am humbled.

    xxo
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your Mom unfollowed you she surely was in a moment of Miller Lite. If you want, hubby and I will whip her ass when he arrive and then we will all go out and talk about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I wanna win it! I keep meaning to buy it and then I keep hoping that someone will just send it to me.

    I'm sorry you're being examined. That blows. I hope the dust all settles soon and they discover that they, in fact, owe you money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it makes you feel any better, Kelly, my dad worked for the IRS for 30-some years and STILL got audited! Thank you so much for the kind words & hang in there!

    Love, Yoga Pants

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about the audit. In 1984 our family house burned down. Guess what? We got audited. Let's just make a bad thing worse, shall we? Anyway, I hope everything goes ok. And, it's probably best not to swear at your mom. Just a thought. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want a copy but I'll take the electronic version if that's what the kids are reading these days. It's not quite as fulfilling as going online and watching your imaginary book debit out of your imaginary bank account.

    ~WWF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great! Of course, I'd probably read anything you'd recommend, but still. I'd love to have a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I'd like to win! I love to read, and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boo on audits and moms who probably only accidentally pressed the wrong button. Hooray for book giveaways though. Pick me! Pick me! I'll surely purchase it if you don't though, because Marianne & MOV rock my socks off too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I want this, too. I'm going to tell my local library to buy it for me. If I don't win it, of course.

    ReplyDelete