Friday, August 24, 2012

Forty

Some of you may remember that about this time last year, I wrote a post called Thirty-Nine. I'm not linking it because it sucked. Don't read it. It was a list of 39 things I wanted to do while I was 39. So clever.

I got bored halfway through writing the list and started putting stupid stuff on it. I did go back and update some, but then I got bored with that.

Dumb.

And I mostly say dumb, because on the important things, I pretty much sucked it.

And now I have about three and a half hours left in my thirty-ninth year and I'm not writing another list. Forty is the year of action. Or sloth. I'm not committed.

I am forty years old and I am feeling like I need to do something. I feel like I am at the old shit or get off the pot stage,.I told Sean yesterday that I was busy righting the ship, and that's exactly it. I am getting my house in order.

I am horrible at responding to comments, and I owe you all an apology. I read everything, and appreciate everything, but I am lazy, lazy. Thank you for continuing to comment, despite me being an asshole.

I am horrible at posting photos. I am not a good photographer and I think Instagram looks like the shitty pictures my parents took in 1976. But I know people like pictures, so, sorry. Plus, I'm lazy.

I think thirty-nine worked out all right. My kids and my family love me and we're happy and healthy. I get to tell you stories and read yours. I hardly ever get a zit and Katie told me that, even though my backfat jiggles when I dance, I am in 'good shape for a woman your age'. 

Forty. Bring it.


21 comments:

  1. Happy almost Birthday, I hope this year is even better than the last. Also, you are only an asshole sometimes. I kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say no more than a solid 40 percent of the time!

      Delete
  2. You're right! Instagram DOES look like crappy 1970s photos! I don't understand why everyone loves it.

    Oh, and happy birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your candor Kelly, it tickles me immensely. Hope you don't have to face a "Lordy, Lordy, ..." sign in your yard. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my fortieth birthday, I woke to find a huge inflatable cake on my front lawn. The thing was almost as tall as our two-story house. I loved it. Forty was feeling pretty good. Damn good thing he hadn't ordered one when I turned 30 and felt like my life was over.

    Oh, and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. Sean threw me a surprise party for my thirtieth and I showed up drunk. So classy.

      Delete
  5. Girl, my 40th year was my BEST year. I loved turning 40.. I felt like I finally had my card to say all the things that I wanted to say before I turned 40. Now, 41? I had an issue with 41. Until I turned 43. Then 41 was pretty fricking awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep wanted to say, 'I am forty damned years old and I...' blah blah blah. The urge is almost overwhelming.

      Delete
  6. 40 is great! You are now officially into the "I am who I am- I like me- and I don't care if you don't" years. Welcome aboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it makes you feel any better, I've been telling everyone I'm 40 for about three years. Forty feels grown-up, empowered. Self-assured even. I've got about 300-some days until the real 40. Own it, lady! And happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! That is like me saying to poor Sean, 'You're almost fifty years old', when he has more than four years to go. But I do it to be mean.

      Delete
  8. Lazy, lazy...You made me laugh. I can so relate. I will read 10 blog posts, with the specific idea of leaving encouraging comments on each. Then I get there and read but will be unable to think up something to say that makes me sound like I have an IQ over 90, so I leave without commenting. This is benevolence in practice, this abstention. It's all about my consideration for you. Truly. I'm a giver. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

    When I am forty, I hope I will be Kelly Hines: audacious, frank and brilliant, talented without even trying, inspired upon effort, beautiful. Happy birthday, old lady. Enjoy the age of not giving a crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that got me a little choked up! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Slap forty in the ass and make it squeal. It's yours. Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. The next time you have a birthday! (stolen joke, sorry)

      Delete