Sunday, September 25, 2011

Winners Win. It's What We Do.

When I was in 7th grade, I won a pair of black jeans with the KISS FM radio logo (featuring a set of ruby red lips) emblazoned on the back pocket, and two tickets to see Foreigner with Guiffria.

Stop right there. If you know who Guiffria is, then you know what an awesome prize package this was. You will recognize that, simply by the virtue of the prize being awarded to me, I must be a natural born winner.
Unfortunately, I didn't have any friends whose parents would let them go to the concert with me. Not to mention, my parents wouldn't let me go with just a friend. So, in a cruel twist of fate suckage, I went to the concert with my mom. Naturally, I wore the jeans.

If you're lucky enough to know my mom, you know that she is a rockin' bitch. Still, being 12 and going to a rock concert with my mom was L.A.M.E. So when Guiffria took the stage, all thumping bass and big hair, and the lead singer starting working the crowd up -

"YEAH! AND WHEN YOU GO INTO WORK IN THE MORNING! YEAH! AND YOUR BOSS SAYS WHY ARE YOU LATE? YEAH! AND YOU CAN LOOK HIM IN THE EYE AND YELL FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU!"

-and the entire crowd starts chanting "FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU!"

Even when your mom is the coolest mom everrrrr, you want to dig a big fat hole and crawl right into it.

I have always thought that was the finest example of my life of winning, until today. Because today MOV, from the blog mothersofbrothers, let me know that I was a recipient of the Versatile Blogger Award. Which means more people get to hear me drop F-bombs and talk about my fascinating life, and for that I am very, very grateful. It also means that I (and you) can pop over to Mothersofbrothers and be introduced to a whole new bunch of bloggers who are doing a fantastic job of entertaining and informing their readers.

I am still waiting on an award that involves a cash prize.

And now I get to nominate some people for the award. I invite you to read all the blogs in my blog roll, they're there because I like reading them, and I think you will, too. But I want to spotlight two that I think really embrace the idea of versatility.

Band Back Together - If you're familiar with Becky from Mommy Wants Vodka (I love you, Becky! in a totally non-creepy you don't know me but I want to be your friend kind of way!), then you might be familiar with Band Back Together. It's a safe, secure, supportive place where women from all over can submit their stories. It's funny, it's sad, it's heartbreaking and uplifting. If you have a story to tell, if you need to know that you're not alone, you need to be a part of BBT.

no reEats - These bitches are cuh-razy. Three women, all dedicated to never making the same meal twice for an entire year. For those of us who find the same dinner in constant rotation ("What's for dinner? Let me guess - chicken."), they are an inspiration. One of the women is a long-time online friend of mine, and she is one of the most interesting people I've never met. Check out her other blog, The Yum Yum Factor, which is frequently featured on Tastespotting and other fancy pants foodie sites.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, I not only know who Guffria is but I will totally 'fess up to owning a 45 - that's right VINYL - of one of their songs. And I knew without googling that the lead singer's name was Greg. Alas I have a humiliating rock show with a parent story that I may one day have to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for that one! I bet you totally had a pair of pants like that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for some new blogs to get into, thanks for the recommendations.

    talk about embarrassing... when I was high school my dad was in a local community theatre performance of the rocky horror picture show. He played the MC and Eddie. So I (and ALL my school) got to see him hump a girl I went to school with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Foreigner in 7th grade?!? You ARE a winner. I bow down to your greatness, and your obviously flip-back Farrah Fawcett hair that everyone cool (not me) had at that time.

    My mean mean mean (culturally-deprived) parents, if they even knew who Foreigner was-- which of course they didn't-- would NEVER have let me go to a (free, prize-winning) concert, because "concert" is clearly teen-code for "make-out session" at best or "orgy" at worst.

    Ahh, to be 13 again.......

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete