Tuesday, December 27, 2011

If Clothes Make the Man...

I rarely argue with my children about their clothing choices. As long as it (pretty much) fits, is clean, and is mostly weather appropriate, I'm down with it. There are a few exceptions - church, formal events, visiting dignitaries. But, generally, if it covers your business, you're good.

As a result, I have indulged tutus and creative coordinates, costumes as every day wear and repeated wearing of a favorite shirt. (Though at one point last year, I did suggest to Katie that if she continued to wear a certain shirt over and over again, she would become 'that kid', and it would be weird.) I am a big believer in expressing your individuality through your clothing. I'm the girl that wore green satin shortie pajamas to school my junior year (though I insisted they were 'lounge wear', and not pajamas. They were totally pajamas.)

The Husband does not share my couture liberalities. He had to run to the Large Home Improvement Store yesterday, and decided to take the two little ones with him. Julia ran off to get dressed, and I took Henry to his room to help him. They ran into the kitchen a little while later, and the Husband took one glance and said "They are not going anywhere like that."

Henry was in regular pants and a shirt, accessorized by his Batman/Superman cape (Batman side out, to better coordinate with his shirt). Julia was wearing a Minnie Mouse t-shirt, black capri leggings, and red cowboy boots. That light up.

They looked adorable.

And he must have known it, too, because he just sighed and walked them out to the car.

Our kids are not button down kids. They are not quiet or neat or matchy matchy. They are crazy and loud and fun, and everything they wear is a reflection of who they are. They are not polo shirts and oxford shoes. They are red cowboy boots, and they light up.

9 comments:

  1. You are awesome. Can you time travel and have a talk with my parents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,

    My sons are the polo shirt and oxford shoes kids. This is not because that is what I buy them, but because my very generous/wealthy friend in California (we call her the Fairy Godmother of Clothing) sends us her Ralph Lauren hand-me-downs and who is going to say no to that? (I keep waiting for the day that she will send me HER Chanel and Versace hand-me-downs, but I digress.) My boys look super-spiffy, and the youngest one cooperates 99.9% of the time. The older one, not so much. He (age 8) has started to protest, even when I say, "But Sweetie, this striped button-down shirt and matching sweater vest are ALL WE HAVE!" He's on to me. He asked his grandparents for skate rat type clothes for Christmas, and guess what he is wearing as I write this?

    best,
    MOV
    ps--but my kids sure do look preppy-cute in pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you mean "must have"...sorry, pet peeve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! I'll admit to grammatical liberties, but I know that one! Nice catch, thank you. :)

    JRose, your mother and I need to talk, lol.

    MOV, the worst is yet to come, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An impressive post.I was very pleased to find this site. I definitely enjoyed reading every little bit of it and I have it bookmarked to check out new stuff posted regularly.
    Regards,
    ROTHCO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I love you! You changed a grammatical error without the usual "I hate you, you stupid cow" retort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I hit 15 in all my glorious, angsty putrescence and wanted all black clothes (not much has changed) and hot pink hair, my very conservative (in dress), southern mother just sighed and took me to her very expensive hair salon. She said, "If the worst you ever do to express yourself is dye your hair the color of an Easter Egg, I'll be grateful. But if you have to look weird, I insist on having your weird professionally polished."

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids too. And it's awesome. Props to you MOM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter is starting to express herself more, um, creatively through clothes. I hope someday I can be less horrified by some of the selections.

    ReplyDelete