Sunday, July 17, 2011

Pre-Vacation Jitters & A Random Recipe

In the past few days, I have cleaned out cabinets and drawers, scrubbed grout and purged toys. I have been short tempered, short sighted and generally unpleasant. My anxiety is at a defcon 4 alert level, and I am this close to asking my mom for some dog xanax. The reason? The most highly anticipated, relaxing week of the whole year - BEACH WEEK. Is it ironic that my favorite week of the year causes me such pre-trip anxiety? Or maybe it's less irony and more a reflection of the fact that I am a freak.

Katie comes home from Arizona on Tuesday (after a ridiculously long trip), along with the in-laws and my fabulous nephew. On Saturday, the eight of us, plus my mom, will drive to Litchfield Beach. The Husband's brother and his wife will join us on Sunday. We will eat, sit on the beach, read and play. It is wonderful.

In the meanwhile, I have an eight page list of things to do/buy/back/cook/etc etc.

I've lined up a couple of awesome guest bloggers for you while I'm gone, and I know you'll love them. If you have a blog, or are interested in guest writing a piece, I'd love to have you! E-mail me at southernfriedchildren@gmail.com.

And in the worst segue in the history of blogging, here is my favorite summer salad recipe. WARNING: It sounds gross. It is not. It will be the hit of your next backyard BBQ, and everyone will want the recipe.

Watermelon-Tomato Salad (courtesy of Southern Living)

Ingredients
  • 5 cups (3/4-inch) seeded watermelon cubes
  • 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • Cracked black pepper to taste

Preparation
  • 1. Combine watermelon and tomatoes in a large bowl; sprinkle with sugar and salt, tossing to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.
  • 2. Stir in onion, vinegar, and oil and a few grinds of cracked black pepper. Cover and chill 2 hours. Serve chilled.

1 comment:

  1. That's one of my go-to summer picnic recipes.

    Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete