For Father's Day, I've made the husband's favorite - Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup. Here's how:
1 small box Cook & Serve Chocolate Pudding (because it's better than instant)
1 recipe chocolate cake (your own or box, I don't care. I use a box mix for this because it's fast, cheap, and good)
1 pint whipping cream + 2 T sugar + 2 t vanilla (I make my own because it's easy, and Cool Whip is greasy)
1 jar hot fudge sauce (go ahead and make it if you must, Martha)
8-10 or so Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (or, as they're known in my neck of the woods, Reesy Cups)
1 cute assistant (optional, but helpful)
1. Prepare cake according to directions, cool, and cut into 1/2" by 3" strips. I bake it in a 9 x 13 pan, because it makes it easier. I use 1/2 of the cake for this recipe, and wrap and freeze the other half, to use in another trifle. Or for a cake emergency.
2. While the cake cooks, prepare the pudding according to package directions and allow to cool. Feel free to eat the pudding skin, I did.
3. Have Cute Assistant unwrap the Reesy Cups, and cut into bite sized pieced. To clarify: Have assistant unwrap, you cut. I don't know about yours, but my Cute Assistant has no business with a deadly weapon.
4. Prepare whipped cream (mix ingredients together, beating on high until it looks like whipped cream).
1. Line the bottom of a trifle bowl (really, any bowl will do. A trifle bowl just looks pretty.) with cake pieces, making additional cuts and smooshing as necessary to get a nice bottom layer. I am in the habit of going up the sides on this bottom layer, making a little bowl for the ingredients. It doesn't look as nice, so I don't know why I keep doing it.
2. Layer 1/2 of the fudge sauce over the cake.
3. Sprinkle on some of the peanut butter cups.
4. Spread on 1/2 of the pudding.
5. Spread on 1/2 of the whipped cream.
6. Repeat layers, ending with whipped cream and a sprinkling of peanut butter cups.
7. Cover and refrigerate. You can eat it right away, but it's even better if it sits in the icebox overnight.
It is so good you will eat it until you are as full as a tick and you have to half-roll, half-drag yourself over to the couch and pass out in a sugar coma.Then you will wake up and go have another bowl.